Dear STC volunteers,
We have enjoyed a good year and have some nice projects on offer to help the community.
Even though some of the events are in late November, we are asking for signups NOW already to gauge the interest levels. We will confirm with you 2 weeks prior to the event to see if there has been any changes to your schedules. If enough volunteers sign up, we will for example be able to open extra stores for the Samedi du Partage.
First of all, we have a little fund raising project. (We know, everyone wants money 🙂 ) . Radio 74, the English speaking radio station of Geneva has been serving the community for 34 years and is in danger of closing at the end of the year. STC and Global Hope Network International (one of our sponsors) have issued a “1000 CHF challenge” to local organizations, challenging them to reach their goal by 15 Nov.
Since the funds STC received are earmarked for the marginalized of the community, we cannot use these for Radio 74, so are therefore looking for extra donation to keep this station – that has given free advertising and support for STC events for the past 6 years – alive. STC has already collected 30% of our target. If you want to join the challenge, please make a donation to STC (info on our website) with reference “Radio 74 1000 challenge”
Here are some of the coming events (Registration here):
* The big one is Saturday 26th of November when we are looking for 50 volunteers working at 4 different stores as part of the great Samedi du Partage initiative. We ask shoppers to purchase some products for the marginalized people of Geneva. This twice-a-year event collects enough to feed over 900 people a day! There are short 3 or 6 hour shifts at selected stores on the day.
* For those who like the great outdoors we have 3 events on the schedule working with A Rocha on maintaining forest areas and game reserves. They will take place in Mt. sur Rolle on 15 Oct and on 5 Nov, and in the Genolier area on 12 Nov.
* The Salvation Army has a shelter for 40 persons who get hot soup 7 days a week. If you and a small team would like to prepare a hot meal for the homeless from 6:30 to 8:00 pm , please sign up and we can confirm your date. The shelter has no kitchen (only warming units) so preparation must be done off site.
* We have a gardening project at the housing project Eureka. The date will be confirmed.
* Voix Libres has a fund raising project for orphans and single moms of Bolivia that will need some French speakers soon.
* And lastly, if you have 2-3 hours a week to help STC plan events your services would be appreciated.
Many thanks.. Serve the City Volunteers
Many thanks to STC soup kitchen volunteers.
We seem to have enough to provide teams to cover Wednesday mid-day meals.. Our plan is to have two teams which alternate Wednesdays, plus have an on-call group who can take over as life gets in the way.. Many thanks to our 14 (so far) perhaps 2 more regulars and some backups.. If you have a team for Tuesdays we can start looking at perhaps setting up another team or two for this very special service to the community.. (We are just waiting for a commitment on which Wednesday we start. The project leader will keep the teams informed)
Again thanks.. STC volunteers
Dear STC volunteers,
We have been asked by Carrefoue Rue for some help at their soup kitchen at Mt.Brilliant, next to the main train station. They could use 6-8 volunteers from now thru November, from 9h to about 1 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The job is: food preparation, setup, serving and clean up.
This request is NOT yet asking for signups, but this is a poling request asking what kind of help STC may be able to provide.
What kind of help would you be willing, interested or committed to do for this project? On the website under Get Involved you should be able to sign in and respond to a quick questionnaire. Along with some basic options. Please use the comments section for any qualifications or additional information.
For example; I can work only twice a month, or I am not available during September, or I can bring 3 friends, or family members on Tuesdays. Etc.
Many thanks for responding to our questionnaire..
The STC team
Partage Saturday is history, and we had all kinds of stories, We had some sickness, we had some oversleeping, some had to leave early, we had some stores not ready for us and some could not be kinder. Some people after paying for their groceries , found out what we were doing and went back in and bought us a big bag of groceries.. Another who took another solution and gave us 100chf and we took the money and bought a collection of products. One customer gave us a bag of meat & vegetables while her husband was waiting at the check out stand (which we replaced). One store would not take back 2 bags of perishable goods, and told us to donate it to Caritas. Some times we had 1 red shirt doing everything and once we had 10 STC reds all busy.. Next week we should get the final tallies but all in all it was a fantastic day. I from what I hear ALL had a very good time and what we did does MAKE A DIFFERENCE ! and we thank you!
For those who brought friends or family to help please also give them our thanks and regards.
The next project will be to sort the goods over at the Partage Warehouse in Carouge, which takes several weeks. Its a 8-12 am job weekdays only and may not work for all but yesterday you did your part. We will send out information on sorting in next few day.. Also we hope to see you out and about on Nelson Mandela’s International Day of Service with STC or any other service project.