This Saturday we are still a few hands short for setup and serving 1000 people at the TheMeal at PlainPalais. Do signup for the event, your help will be welcome.
22 September Invite for The-Meal
It’s that time of the year again when we honor the local farmers and consider the environment.!
A great number of people gathering on the same day in many different places on our planet, to share a meal in support of farmers here and everywhere, in defense of food sovereignty and the right for local populations to access natural resources, soil, water, forests and seed.
The Meal – Un Repas Pour Notre Avenir will take place on September 22 at Plainpalais grounds.
The event would be supported by Serve the City Geneva with at least 30 volunteers, who will help with the setting of the area with Tables and benches, serving the food, helping with the clear up at the end of the day.
The day starts at 7:30 am and will go on until 5:00 pm. Volunteers can stay throughout the day or choose specific tasks or time frames..
07:30 – 10:00 – Setting up
10:00 – 11:30 – Cocktails
11:30 – 14:30 – Lunch Servers provided by Serve the City
16:00 – 17:30 – Clear up other activities are run by event organisers
So, volunteers come along and help support this wonderful event. We could use some more French speakers for the event as well.
More information at The-Meal.net
Looking forward to early sign ups on Serve the City Geneva website.
Every other Tuesday from 25 September Soup Kitchen Mt.Brilliant
We have a couple more spots open for servers from 9 to 1 to serve those in need.
22 September we start a new Saturday lunch program for the less fortunate
Serve the City is proposing a 2 team approach of 3 persons offering service every other Saturday until mid December. We also will develope a team of standby servers to run backup participation as required. When you sign up don’t forget to mention is you are signing up for every other Saturday or as a “as needed” volunteer
The idea of the «Fifth Day» is brought by chef Walter el Nagar, distinguished by the Gault & Millau 2017. With other talented chefs from around the world, he founded the Société anonyme cuisiniers, a collective that prides itself on a real social and culinary bias.
The members of the collective are far from painting cooks as artists or geniuses of sort, but instead they encourage their members to be creative, avant-garde, radical and provocative, aiming to stimulate the critical minds and senses of their guests, making them an integral part of their work. They believe that the classic restaurant model needs to be updated.
Open four days to the public, the restaurant proposes a bistronomic, local, healthy and organic food offer, from a perspective of sustainability. On the fifth day, the same menu will be served to less fortunate people sent by partner associations. For free!
Our needs: every Saturday from 22/09 included we need at least 3 volunteers to help the chef at the kitchen (cooking, serving and cleaning), from 11am to 3pm. With your commitment, you will contribute to this social project which offers the opportunity to marginalized, homeless or refugee people to escape from their day-to-day for the time of a meal and to discover a fantastic cuisine. 25 rue des Eauxvive, 1207 Geneva
L’idée du « Cinquième jour » est portée par le chef Walter el Nagar, distingué par le Gault & Millau 2017. Avec d’autres chefs talentueux du monde entier, il a fondé en 2017 la Société anonyme cuisiniers, un collectif qui se targue d’un vrai parti-pris social et culinaire.
Artisans modernes, plutôt qu’« artistes de génies », les membres du collectif cherchent à bousculer les certitudes et à faire réagir leurs hôtes par leur créativité. Ces cuisiniers anonymes sont déterminés à modifier la perception de la cuisine gastronomique, ainsi qu’à révolutionner le modèle actuel, mais dépassé, de la restauration et de l’hospitalité.
Ouvert quatre jours au public, le restaurant propose une cuisine bistronomique, local, saine et à base de produits issus de l’agriculture durable. Le cinquième jour, le même menu sera servi à des convives en situation précaire, pris en charge par une organisation sociale partenaire. Et cela gratuitement !
Nos besoins : tous les samedis à partir du 22/09 inclus, nous avons besoin d’au moins 3 bénévoles afin d’assister le chef en cuisine (cuisine, service, nettoyage), de 11h à 15h. Grâce à votre engagement, vous contribuerez à ce projet social qui offre l’opportunité à des personnes marginalisées, sans-abri ou réfugiées de s’évader de leur quotidien le temps d’un repas et d’avoir accès à une cuisine exceptionnelle.
25 rue des Eauxvive, 1207 Geneva
Voix Libres is a shop near the main train station that is an international humanitarian association,
which operates in Bolivia to offer alternatives to child labour in the mines, fields, garbage dumps and streets
STC is proud to have been working with their team for past 6 years. Some of their upcoming events are listed should you be interested in volunteering with them.
- Volunteers for events: VL needs a lot of volunteers for selling their products and also for promoting the NGO
- 22 September: The Meal – Dimitri Javorski (firstname.lastname@example.org) is in charge with the event
- 5 – 18 November: Selling exhibition at Manor Vevey
- 3 November- Orvin près de Bienne
- 20 October (approx) container de Bolivie – they need 20 volunteers and it will be helpful if someone of them will have some vans/ trucks
- 3 October- 19h – they will have a “ soirée portes ouvertes” regarding information about VL. They said that it will be beneficial for the interested volunteers to come because it will be a good opportunity to more about their activities, mission and vision (a highly recommended training based on my own experience)
- Shop: during the week and on Saturday (flexible hours)- they said that they need more a woman who likes to sell and understands the importance of their work and the impact of each article sold on the women’s life who became entrepreneurs in Bolivia (after they went through slavery in the mines or victims of domestic violence).
- Traslations: VL need always volunteers for translations either for their financial statements, projects, donors, etc. The priority is their site, who is currently under construction. The french version will be created by their own team and then they need the translation.
The translations are mostly required are from:
1. French- English/ English- French
2. Spanish- French/ French- Spanish
3. Spanish- English/ English- French
Starling Hotel & Conference Center
next to Palexpo November 4th, 2018