Dear STC volunteers,
We have enjoyed a good year and have some nice projects on offer to help the community.
Even though some of the events are in late November, we are asking for signups NOW already to gauge the interest levels. We will confirm with you 2 weeks prior to the event to see if there has been any changes to your schedules. If enough volunteers sign up, we will for example be able to open extra stores for the Samedi du Partage.
First of all, we have a little fund raising project. (We know, everyone wants money 🙂 ) . Radio 74, the English speaking radio station of Geneva has been serving the community for 34 years and is in danger of closing at the end of the year. STC and Global Hope Network International (one of our sponsors) have issued a “1000 CHF challenge” to local organizations, challenging them to reach their goal by 15 Nov.
Since the funds STC received are earmarked for the marginalized of the community, we cannot use these for Radio 74, so are therefore looking for extra donation to keep this station – that has given free advertising and support for STC events for the past 6 years – alive. STC has already collected 30% of our target. If you want to join the challenge, please make a donation to STC (info on our website) with reference “Radio 74 1000 challenge”
Here are some of the coming events (Registration here):
* The big one is Saturday 26th of November when we are looking for 50 volunteers working at 4 different stores as part of the great Samedi du Partage initiative. We ask shoppers to purchase some products for the marginalized people of Geneva. This twice-a-year event collects enough to feed over 900 people a day! There are short 3 or 6 hour shifts at selected stores on the day.
* For those who like the great outdoors we have 3 events on the schedule working with A Rocha on maintaining forest areas and game reserves. They will take place in Mt. sur Rolle on 15 Oct and on 5 Nov, and in the Genolier area on 12 Nov.
* The Salvation Army has a shelter for 40 persons who get hot soup 7 days a week. If you and a small team would like to prepare a hot meal for the homeless from 6:30 to 8:00 pm , please sign up and we can confirm your date. The shelter has no kitchen (only warming units) so preparation must be done off site.
* We have a gardening project at the housing project Eureka. The date will be confirmed.
* Voix Libres has a fund raising project for orphans and single moms of Bolivia that will need some French speakers soon.
* And lastly, if you have 2-3 hours a week to help STC plan events your services would be appreciated.
Many thanks.. Serve the City Volunteers