Serve the City Geneva is in its 7th year and we must thank the community so very much for stepping out to help others less fortunate or to working on environmental projects in our community! It is so wonderful to work with a team of volunteers who are so willing to do just about anything including gardening, pulling weeds out of swamp areas, setting up parties for handicapped kids, painting, laying carpet, and just taking time out of their busy lives to lend a hand! We thank you so much for your gifts of personal time and your compassion for the needs of others, as do our service providers!
At the moment we have 1,658 registered volunteers, and we’d like to know what is going on and available. About 920 of them are already active and wearing red shirts! We are not sure how many of the 1658 are still in town as the our Geneva community tends to involve many comings and goings! And we all know that typing REMOVE is a hard thing to do…!
Here are some things you didn’t want to know;
Of the 1658; 609 are English-only speakers, 14 are French-only, 829 prefer English, 206 prefer French!
1247 are living in Geneva, 223 in France and 188 on the West bank.. perhaps 2 or 3 as far as Lausanne.
This year we have had 50 new registrations. And in the past 6 months, when asked how you heard about STC here are your replys:
STC projects 3
Radio 74 1
Hello Switzerland 1
… and we thank you, for upping the Friend total !!
We hope you realize that you are making a difference, and how important you are to those fortunate people that you might support in some way!. We also hope that opportunities will continue to arise for you to help others. (And when the opportunity opens, to get to know those without a name.! )
STC is currently running with a staff of 7 but we really need more help to keep in touch with Service Providers for our 1658 volunteers! Do you have skills in this area?
Do sign up, and pressure us, to give you a chance to lend a hand!
Zou might also help us thru your organizations or on Facebook.
Seasons greetings to each and every one of you,….you are so appreciated!
The Serve the City Geneva committe
First, many many thanks for the 60+ volunteers we had for Partage collections. A new high of 167 tons of donations.. (to be sorted)
On to next projects..:
– Call for MEN !! We need 4 men on Saturday 9 Dec. to work at Eureka, a housing project for the needy. We need to rotate a tent in order to improve its covering, to be more effective over the winter months. 9:30 to noon with nice BBQ lunch prepared for us..
– We have a new opening for Partage sorting for 5 helpers on Wednesday 27 Dec. The sorting is the normal 8am to noon. Lunch is included.
– Ronald McDonald Houses could use 3-4 volunteers to prepare their two gardens for winter and put a small edging for one of the gardens. Its a morning job 9:30 to noon including lunch. (the houses are near the HUG hospital in Geneva)
– We have a project in Bellevue doing some gardening and cage cleaning at the Zoo this Saturday at 9:30. If you are interested, please sign up and we will send more on the project.
– For those in the Christmas or New Years spirit, Carrfour Rue has a homeless shelter by the bridge and a soup kitchen by the train stations in which they want to present the residents or the hungry with special meals at the holidays..
We need :
- 14 people from 7 pm at la Coulou on 24.12. to help prepare a meal, decorate shelter, serve the meal and clean up
- 12 people from 10 am to 12 & from 7 pm at Jardin de Montbrillant on 31.12 to decorate and set up tables, and deliver for sit-down meals
- 15 people from 7 pm at la Coulou on 31.12. Same as Coulou above only New Years Eve.
We are pleased to announce that GEDS has nominated Serve the City as the recipient of the charity theatre event on Dec 8 and 9 in Geneva. It’s titled Too Close for Comfort, more information available on their website
STC will be using the funds to fund holiday meals for those in the shelter of the Salvation Army. Those wishing to participate in creation of these meals should send a message to Info@ServeTheCityGeneva.ch and let us know of your interest..
Thank you ! The STC Team.